Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cairo Int'l Airport

I feel like someone just shoved me outside of my comfort zone; oh wait, they did. I was sleeping nicely on my ridiculously long flight from JFK to Cairo Int'l thanks to Ambien when we landed. I've never walked off a plane before onto the runway. That was a first... Then we all CRAMMED into a tiny little bus and were shuttled to a little office thing where no one spoke English (only Arabic). It took me a while to figure out I had to take another bus to get to a different part of the airport. I tried to go sit in my gate but I was kicked out for now and I'm not sure why because I don't speak Arabic. I'm assuming it was because I'm a few hours early for my connection flight to Larnaca, Cyprus..

A few observations I've made so far:

1) Smoking is legal in public (whoa, time to dust off the old inhaler)
2) Wool socks in Cairo are aboslutely not practical.
3) Cairo Int'l barely has working bathrooms but they do have a Starbucks. Proof Sbucks is taking over the world
4) White women traveling alone are interesting.
5) I am NOT in Kansas anymore.

Let the culture shock, begin.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Your observations cracked me up! I was scared imagining myself in your shoes. I started sweating reading about everyone talking Arabic and you getting kicked out... all while in an Ambien-induced sleep-walk... WITH wool socks on!!!!!! AAAaaaaahhhhh.