Thursday, February 26, 2009

i've had a lot of caffeine today.



I've been in
Cyprus for three weeks now and it's been crazy/blurry/exhausting/amazing. I'm finally into my "classes" even though they're basically a joke. Extrapolation: tonight my world history professor is taking us out to a bar for beers and burgers and then taking us to see valkyrie. Awesome? I think so.

Right now I'm sitting at the Coffee Beanery with Chrissy (see aweosme pic below) drinking a cafe mocha that is full of orange and chocolate and cream and everything amazing/terrible for you :) We came here to work on our european cultures and (for me) world history papers but instead I'm taking advantage of the fast internet. Me? Procrastinate? and then have a stress attack the night before it's due? what else is new.

EGYPT! That's whats new. I went with a group of nine amazing girls last weekend and we traveled far and wide, and bartered big time. The first day we were there we did so much; pyramids, shopping, sphinx, food, dinner cruise on the nile. balllin. The next day we went to Alexandria and
saw catacombs, and the great library of Alexandria, it was amazing. I like books. We also went to one of the ancient wonders of the world. It used to be a light tower/watch house but it was destroyed in a storm (I sort of made that up, i don't remember the story) and they used the original materials to build it into this amazing fort that overlooks the city of Alexandria, the coast, and really pretty boats. Did I mention our crazy tourguide? He wanted to make sure we got everything
in so we did a lot of running around and counting off to make sure all ten of us. Akhmed was the bomb. Then on Sunday we went to the temple/village ruins of Alexander the great from around 300 BC. Akhmed bribed our tour person to let us climb all over them and take some sweet pictures :) The entire trip was completely surreal and I still can't believe that I went to Egypt. Before I left people kept asking me why Cyprus. At the time I really didn't have a solid answer but it really is one of the greatest locations in the world, I'm a 45 minute flight to Africa, Europe, and contries in the Middle East. I'm still hoping to get to Israel, maybe Syria, and I would love to see the Hanging Gardens of Babylon in Iraq but I guess that should probably wait a little bit...

In April I'll be heading off to Italy, Greece, and Spain. ohhh em gee I can't wait. My mom is heading over to this part of the world in May so we can do some traveling, hopefully of eastern Europe. I'm also in the process of planting the idea that we should go back to Amsterdam and so some traveling there... then end the trip by seeing Bruce Springsteen in the Netherlands... I'm so crafty :)

This weekend I plan on traveling around Cyprus with a few of the girls to Limassol & Paphos to go celebrate Carnival. It's comparable to a two week long halloween festival with parades and partying. I just have to get through these papers and then it's time to macgyver a costume together and head off to the beaches! Life's so tough.

No comments: